Franz Joseph-Platz 3
Considered the oldest preserved Biedermeier train station in Austria, this was the terminal for the Mödling - Laxenburg rail line, built in 1844/45 as a branch line of the Südbahn. The exterior of the elongated station hall, built in 1847, is segmented by blind niches with Tudor arches, while the front is accented with a crenellated risalit and corner columns. The high plinth in the front half of the hall helps bridge the vertical distance to the train platform. In 1968 the Union Riding Club Laxenburg converted the hall of the former train station into a riding hall. In 1980 the municipal government acquired the building and accompanying parcel, which it leased to architect Ing. Moser in 1982, who restored the building and converted it into a tennis centre, adding a restaurant and recreation areas. Tennis courts were installed on the grounds outside. In 1998 the municipal government resumed custody of the Kaiserbahnhof. In 1999/2000 it carried out a general revitalisation based on plans by architect Rüdiger Lainer, taking the greatest possible care to preserve the property.
The line-keeper’s lodge, no longer worth preserving, was demolished in 2000. The Kaiserbahnhof now serves as an event venue and communications centre for the Laxenburg municipal government. The building’s exterior facade was designed in the original colour, a type of terracotta red, the reconstruction of which was made possible through painstaking detail work. The land in front of the building was landscaped. The Gallo Rosso café-restaurant has been located inside since June 2007.