Münchendorfer Strasse 5, former court buildings
These two elongated buildings were constructed from the designs of architect Johann Ferdinand von Hohenberg around 1800. The stables building (today the Union Riding Club Laxenburg) corresponds with the carriage house building (now the workshops of the Laxenburg Castle operating company). Despite the mundane use for which these buildings were intended, they are two unusual structures from the court’s commercial complex, perfect examples of Baroque design principles.
Originally the two buildings stood on an accompanying parcel of land, as the area in between was necessary for operations. It wasn’t until 1920 that the new stretch of the Laxenburg-Münchendorf road was constructed across this, the through traffic taking priority. From 1915 to 1920 the Lippizan stud farm was relocated from Karst to Laxenburg because of the war; it was sheltered in the court stables and additional sheds in the park. In 1929 the Fund for War-Affected Persons leased out a portion of these court stables and the pastures behind the Old Castle to the riding school of the Theresian Academy, for the purpose of operating their summer riding school under the company name ‘Reitetablissement Schloss Laxenburg’. Despite the economic crisis, demand for the riding school in Laxenburg rose enormously. In 1938 the stables were completely devastated through use as military quarters and many of the horses were seized without compensation. In the 1950s the Union Riding Club Laxenburg was formed, which still actively uses the property up to the present day.