Former location of the cemetery: originally surrounding the parish church, starting in 1713 it was on the site of what would later be Wienerstrasse 17 and extended roughly to the first houses on the Kapellengasse.
The town cemetery has been in its current location since 1782. Noteworthy graves: castellan M. Riedl, castellan P. Lehmann, provincial governor E. Hartmann, Gustav and Lydia Schütt.
The cemetery was expanded multiple times, including in 1912/13 by the presence of the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross.
In the 1960s the cemetery was again expanded in the direction of Achauerstrasse, almost doubling the area. The enclosing wall was likewise extended and a second gate was added as an entryway to the new portion, which was opened in October 1968.
Two artists were engaged in the design of the new gate: the Laxenburg sculptor Josef Papst created the wide-span archway out of sandstone with figurative reliefs, while the iron gate was designed by sculptor Alfred Schlosser from Krottendorf-Gaisfeld. A sandstone relief was added to the back of the new cemetery wall at the behest of the cloister of the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross. The relief depicts the Virgin of Mercy and is also the work of sculptor Josef Papst.
Since 1976 the new funeral chapel has been located outside the cemetery and contains a funeral parlour, vestry and cooling chamber designed by the architect Dr. Heinz Düringer.