Herzog Albrecht-Strasse 1, former court building
This was originally constructed between 1700 and 1718 as Dietrichstein Palace by master builder Christian Alexander Oedtl. The palace and its garden were owned by the Daun family starting in 1762 and were under imperial ownership beginning in 1766, at which time it was altered for Archduchess Marie Christine, a daughter of Maria Theresa, by N. Pacassi.
The oval hall and adjacent state rooms are located in the central section. The wings were partly used as residences. The opulent dining room contains valuable frescoes by Johann Wenzel Bergl. These depict ‘The Joys of Country Life’ as a family portrait with Maria Theresa, Marie Christine and Duke Albert of Saxony-Teschen. Two recumbent leopards serve as crest bearers on the approach path. In front of these is a large forecourt, bordered by a curved fence between brick columns, topped with trophies and vases. For a time the house was the castellan’s residence; the name Grünne-Haus might refer to Count Karl Grünne, adjutant general under Emperor Franz Joseph. It served as a restaurant starting in the early 20th century and the ballroom was also used for dances and exhibitions. For example, in 1988 a large exhibition was held here as part of Laxenburg’s celebration of 600 years as a market town, having been awarded market rights by Duke Albert III. After the end of the Kriegsgeschädigtenfonds (the Fund for War-Affected Persons), the city of Vienna leased out the restaurant; the last leaseholders were Wilhelm und Maria Kopta. The castle restaurant was closed when the lease ended in 1973. Today the IIASA uses the building as a presentation space.