Inhalt

St. Mark’s Lion (30)

St. Mark’s Lion (30)

Franz Joseph-Platz

This sandstone sculpture of a winged lion, the emblem of St. Mark the Evangelist and the symbolic animal of the Venetian Republic, stands on a pedestal and is one of the two St. Mark’s lions created in 1872/73 for the old Vienna Südbahnhof. Both served as ornamentation above the train station’s main entrance. The second lion shown here stood on a pedestal in the middle of the entrance hall in the train station building from 1951/60, which is now also gone. The Laxenburg lion was placed in this square in 1959.

Zurück / back